- Dog Friendly: This is a great site for info on traveling with your dog.
- Dog Park: Information on dog parks.
- Dog Play: Lots of info on various activities that people do with dogs.
- Mast General Store: An Appalachian Tradition since 1883, Mast sells general merchandise for the mountain home and family, and carries an ample selection of gear and amenities for dogs. Many locations allow dogs inside the store. If you're in Waynesville, stop in at Mast's oudoor department and ask for "Jay."
- Trail Dog: An Awesome Yahoo Groups site (founded by Jim Greenway and his dog Shadow) that is a great resource for hiking and backpacking with dogs.
- Bark Magazine: A bi-monthly magazine that chronicals the dog/human phenomenon. Bark is a modern dog culture magazine hailing from Berkeley, CA and is a must-read for any "hip" dog owner who is more concerned about the relationship than the breed status.
- Critter Magazine: An animal adoption publication serving Western North Carolina and surrounding regions. Published by Elaine Lite, Critter Magazine makes a difference in our community and the Trail Hound is proud to support them.
- Whole-Dog-Journal: A monthly guide to natural health care, training, and wholeistic living with dogs.
Rescue and adoption organizations
- ASPCA: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is the premier nationwide organization for animal rescue, shelter and adoption.
- Asheville Humane Society: Operates the largest full-service animal shelter in Western North Carolina. Check their site for info on activities and pets for adoption.
- Haywood Animal Welfare Association: HAWA is a great place to find your new pet in Haywood County or Western North Carolina. They have been an active part of the community and work to improve the lives of the homeless animal population in the area. Located in charming downtown Waynesville, NC, they also have an upscale boutique where the proceeds go to help the animals in their care.
- Pet Finder: The online resource for pet adoptiion. Connected to numerous adoption and rescue groups nationwide, you can check availability of various animals, breeds and ages.
- Sarge's Animal Rescue Foundation: Their mission is to save healthy, adoptable animals in and around Haywood County, NC by placing them in local foster homes while trying to find permanent homes for them. Their goal is an Adoption Center with quarantine space, comfortable pens, outdoor runs, a cattery, and areas for training and grooming.